A new OS X release, and a new Community Wiki question, and a further round of hand wringing over what the use of these questions means on the site, and whether they should be encourage, discontinued, modified etc.
Without putting my particular stance in the question to avoid answers agreeing or disagreeing or discussing it, can I ask that anyone with an opinion on them please put that opinion in an answer, and for people to discuss each answer in appropriate comments rather than with other answers (unless the answer you subsequently add is to describe your own thoughts, rather than comment on anothers).
Things you might like to think about (obviously this is just a braindump and not full guidance - bring your own thoughts):
- Do we have too many
- Should anyone be able to set them up, or should it be an earned priviledge, or a Mod action
- Should there be a seperate "On Topic" entry for this type of question
- Should we close them on sight
- Do they have any value that is less easily replicated on a traditional Q&A
- Should they be located on Meta
- Can a change of format make them more useful
- Do they detract from the rest of the site
- Is their value transitional, do they lose relevance over time
- Should we provide a template for questions for consistency
- Do they drive users to the site
- Do they drive users away
- Are they popular with regular site users
- Are they an embarassment to other SE site users
There's lots to think about, and many pros and cons to discuss. If everyone with a strong enough opinion writes their monologue below as an answer, perhaps enough of a theme can be picked out to direct future use of them.