I'm gonna leave this pretty short because its pretty self explanatory. Shortcuts was recently released by Apple on iOS 12. I think we need a tag. I have enough rep to create the tag, but a tag for "Shortcut" already exists. Can we please create this tag?
Where are we coming from?
Currently we have
- shortcut with 557 tagged questions, described as
Series of one or several keys that invoke some software/os action when triggered by the user
A Shortcut is a series of one or several keys that invoke some software/os action when triggered by the user. Common known keyboard shortcuts in Mac OS X are for example Command+Q fie quitting an application, Command+W for closing a window or Command+C for copying some data and Command+V for pasting the copied data.
A physical device with buttons that allow characters to be entered
The keyboard is a means of interacting with a device, whether it be using a combination of keys to execute an action (see shortcuts) or typing to produce sentences.
- shortcut seems mainly to be used to ask for keyboard shortcuts (also shortcut is often used together with keyboard), keyboard covers both hardware and software/shortcut topics though. So just merging shortcut into keyboard will lead to a loss of granularity.
- Given the multiple meanings of the term "shortcut(s)" having a generic tag with that name will lead to confusion and wrong usage (as nobody seems to read tag descriptions anyway)
- Keep keyboard as today
- Break synonym link between keyboard and keyboard-shortcuts
- Merge shortcut into keyboard-shortcuts (and delete shortcut if possible)
- Create new siri-shortcuts
- Provide helpful excerpts/descriptions for all three
Any comments, remarks, feedback?
My initial thoughts would be to leave the keyboard shortcuts alone and have shortcuts.app or ios-shortcuts cover the workflow.app being renamed to shortcuts as an application you download from the iOS App Store. Since it intercepts intents from Apple and third party apps to become siri-shortcuts, the siri tag might work just fine for any voice command questions In conjunction with the app tag.
I think we might get better usage results with either .app or iOS- added to the word shortcuts.