As an experiment, I went through a couple of dozen popular questions and attempted to edit the titles without changing their meaning too much.
The goal was:
- Convert titles to a complete question, not just a fragment of one
- Make sure that all titles consisted of 100% grammatical U.S. English
- Capture the essence of the question in the title
- Never change the original asker's intention
- Try not to change the original asker's choice of terminology, so that other people who have the same problem and use the same terminology can still find the question
My hope is that having more grammatical questions on the home page just makes the site look better and thus attracts more people.