How long do I have to wait before the "Start bounty" button appears on one of my questions? I have a question that hasn't been answered yet and I would like to put a bounty on it, but the button hasn't shown up yet? Are there other rules that apply to when the bounty button appears?
From the FAQ:
There are a few other rules around bounties:
- Questions must be at least 2 days old to be eligible for a bounty.
- Users must have at least 75 reputation to offer a bounty.
- There can only be 1 active bounty per question and per user at any given time.
- Once initiated, the bounty period lasts 7 days.
- After starting a bounty, you must wait 1 day before awarding it.
- If you do not award your bounty within 7 days, the highest voted answer created after the bounty started with at least 2 upvotes will be awarded half the bounty amount.
Adding to what reported by Kyle Cronin, users can now have a maximum of 3 active bounties at any given time. There still the limit of one bounty per question, but you can have three bounties on three different questions, where nobody else offered a bounty already.
The FAQ has been changed to reflect this.