(back online although still looking...)
I'm an old-time Unix/Usenet geek; you can get a good idea of my checkered past by searching for my name in Google Groups. (Include the first name, though, or you'll get my cousin Russ (http://www.eyrie.org/~rra)....)
Presently I am unemployed and looking at jobs in the Toronto area. Most recently I was a senior system administrator for Carnegie Mellon University's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, a department of the Carnegie Institute of Technology half of CMU. Most of my work is infrastructure — the stuff most people don't notice unless it's broken. My job is to make sure people continue to not notice it.
I have been suffering from gradually worsening sinus problems for the past 10 years, and I was recently diagnosed with dysphoric bipolar syndrome. A fair amount of this journal is about the latter. More recent items are tagged so they can be avoided. I may at some point go back and fix the earlier ones.
In the 90s (that is, before the dysphoric bipolar got bad enough that I had trouble focusing in projects) I was involved with a number of open source projects. I'm starting to find my way back into the open source world now that I'm regaining reliable control of my faculties.
Member for 8 years, 9 months
3 profile views
Last seen Jun 21 '11 at 13:47
- Stack Overflow 48.2k 48.2k 88 gold badges105105 silver badges107107 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 24.5k 24.5k 33 gold badges6363 silver badges5454 bronze badges
- Super User 10.1k 10.1k 2525 silver badges3838 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 10k 10k 11 gold badge2424 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- Server Fault 5.9k 5.9k 11 gold badge1616 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 571 /usr/bin vs /usr/local/bin on Linux
- 543 How can I break out of ssh when it locks?
- 365 When should I not kill -9 a process?
- 287 Switch case with fallthrough?
- 215 How to print register values in GDB?
- 206 Using grep to search for a string that has a dot in it
- 197 Execute bash script from URL
- View more network posts →