Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard Server are the last Systems available from Apple where an administrator can ever hope to have total and complete control over the system.
Apple's philosophies concerning end user computing are more and more leaning towards automation and a
one size fits all, initiative which will ultimately lead to a
one size fits no one, and sometimes you really do not have control issues but it makes sense to do things the way you want to and not how Apple wants you to do them.
When first introduced, the Mac App Store seemed like the universal solution to the problem of the missing package management of OS X, but then took a hard and wild direction towards runaway commercialism. IMO, Apple is making a grave mistake in that they are directing all installations to be managed by App Store, on the one hand, filling it with all their own software and eliminating the front end of Software Update.app (though softwareupdate is still reportedly intact in Mavericks), and on the other hand flooding the App Store with commercial products. It looks very neat and pretty, but it doesn't feel stable, and it is shocking to an administrator to use it because it feels like commercial razmataz rather than a serious tool. Apple should have instead further enriched softwareupdate to include hooks for all Apple software, such as xcode, ARD, and iLife, and kept the App Store ONLY for commercial apps. I don't understand how Apple themselves are happy mixing their own apps up with the neighbor's kid's fart app.
I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form.
Member for 5 years, 4 months
5 profile views
Last seen May 31 '14 at 3:18
- Ask Different 2.5k 2.5k 22 gold badges1111 silver badges2828 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 825 825 66 silver badges66 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 745 745 33 silver badges77 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 157 157 11 silver badge11 bronze badge
- Stack Overflow 121 121 22 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 34 What does Gandalf mean by "Secret Fire", "Flame of Anor" and "Flame of Udûn"?
- 24 Idiom meaning diverting somebody's attention from a topic which you don't want to talk on
- 13 Retina display support for XQuartz X11 applications
- 10 How to create a USB installer for multiple OS on an OS X system?
- 8 Why does the iPhone have a physical sound-switch?
- 7 How do you remove SSL certificate exceptions on iOS?
- 6 Is there a built in command line utility for airport and other wifi networks?
- View more network posts →